Choosing a robot vacuum cleaner It is becoming something as complicated as choosing a mobile. There are many models and it seems that they are all the same, but they are not. For this reason, we have embarked on the elaboration of a guide to choose the best robot vacuum cleaner. We are going to review the models, the advantages and disadvantages and everything that must be taken into account to choose the best robot vacuum cleaner.
And it is that, although you think that a vacuum cleaner or the usual brush and dustpan are enough to maintain a clean and tidy apartment, and you are right, A robot vacuum cleaner makes our work much easier. They are automatic, they need little maintenance, we do not have to be aware of them and, in addition, there are models that are programmable.
Best of all is the versatility of all these devices, since it doesn’t matter what size house we have, the floors, or the type of soil, there is a robot vacuum cleaner that adapts to our tastes. So, without further ado, here’s one. guide to choose the best robot vacuum cleaner.
Table of Contents:
What to take into account to choose the best robot vacuum cleaner
First of all, starting with models, brands and tips for choosing the best robot vacuum cleaner, you need to sit down and assess a series of points. They are quite a few, but they will really allow you choose the robot vacuum cleaner that best suits your needs.
There are different types of robot, and we can distinguish four groups. There are those who vacuum the dust… and nothing else. The floor scrubbers live up to their name, but they do not have brushes to vacuum up dirt. They just scrub.
There are others that are identical, but with a mop, and the most popular, at the moment, are those with a suction system and, in addition, a mop that can polish the floor or “scrub” it.
The system of the latter is more complete since, in addition to vacuuming up dirt, they mop.
The size of the house is something fundamental when choosing a robot vacuum cleaner. And it is that, it is the factor that marks the autonomy of the robot. Faced with two robots with the same characteristics, it may be a waste of money to choose the one with two hours of autonomy over the one with one hour if the latter guarantees that, in that time, it can clean the entire house.
The charging time is usually about two hours, and in addition to autonomy, we must take into account if it is an “intelligent” robot vacuum cleaner or not, something that we will see later. And it is that, if it is not, it is like a pool cleaner, of the old ones, that no matter how much it is on, it may not go through all corners.
Features of the house
This also has its crumb. You must take into account the measurements of the robot vacuum cleaner. And it is that, that will depend on whether it can go through each and every corner of our home. The most important thing is to measure the height of the robot, as well as the space left under sofas and other furniture.
If we want the robot to be able to clean under furniture, it is something that we must look at. In addition, you have to search among the features of the desired model that can vacuum carpets and automatically climb on them, in addition to the function so that the blades do not get tangled in long-pile carpets.
Power and dirt sensors
Power is measured in pascals and measures the pressure that the robot vacuum cleaner motor is capable of producing to attract dirt. It is a fact that must be taken into account, but it is not the most important.
What is important is to know if the robot has a dirt sensor or not. If it has it, and the price fits the budget, you should take it into account, since that model will be more effective than another that does not have it. By effective, we mean that it will need fewer passes through a clean spot, so it will focus on the dirtiest area.
Another important element when choosing a robot vacuum cleaner. There are two types of robots, those with the central brush, are versatile and have a large roller in the central part that sucks what the blades send it, and those that have two blades on the sides and a nozzle that sucks dirt, they are best for deep pile carpets.
The maintenance of robot vacuum cleaners that do not have a central rotating brush is somewhat easier, since the hair does not get entangled in it. Of course, those with a central rotating brush are somewhat more effective since they not only vacuum, but also “polish” the surface to absorb dirt.
The robot vacuum cleaner, as its name suggests, sucks, not sprays. For this reason, it has a deposit in which the dirt is stored and which, of course, we must empty. There are tanks of several liters, which is how it is measured, and we must start looking at a robot vacuum cleaner with a tank of at least 0.3 liters.
If we have pets, things change, since we must shoot for one with a capacity of at least 0.5 liters. And it is that, the hair occupies a lot in the deposit of our robot…
Although if you buy a new robot vacuum cleaner, most likely it has a HEPA filter, it is because if you get an old and cheap model, or a second-hand robot, do not count on this. And it has its importance.
And it is that, the HEPA filterBasically, it “purifies” the air it sucks in so that it doesn’t come out turned into dust. If it does not have a HEPA filter, it is not capable of filtering air particles and sprays dust into the environment.
smart or less smart
All the models go alone, that’s the fun, wow, but there are more… and less intelligent. The cheapest are those that have a navigation system based on free will, they go through an area and, when they encounter an obstacle, they go to another area, but they do not follow a criterion.
The most expensive are those that map the room, either automatically, through the sensors, or manually, with an application. If you want a robot vacuum cleaner that goes around the house, a model without a map is suitable, but a more expensive one, with a mobile application and the possibility of mapping the house, will also be more efficient both when cleaning… and to manage the energy, since it will not go through the same point twice.
We have already discussed it, but if you have pets, it is best that you go for a robot vacuum cleaner that requires as little maintenance as possible and, for this, the best thing is a deposit of at least 0.5 liters.
In addition, it must be taken into account that the central rotating brush can “choke” with pet hair.
Accessories and spare parts
Now we will see which brands are the best known, but LG, Roomba and Cecotec are some of the recommended ones. They are well known and that assures us two things: ease of spare parts and a good arsenal of accessories.
There are all kinds of accessories and they are useful to complete the functions that a “non-intelligent” robot vacuum cleaner does not have compared to a top-of-the-range one. The function of virtual walls, which may or may not come as standard, is one of them.
Best-known brands of robot vacuum cleaner
Once we have seen the main characteristics of a robot vacuum cleaner, and the difference when choosing one with a central brush or a vacuum system, we go with the best-known brands. And it is that, there are many different brands and models, but each of the brands has its flagship product.
- Xiaomi: How could Xiaomi not be on a list of the best robot vacuum cleaners, having a toothbrush? The Mi Robot Vacuum is possibly the best robot vacuum cleaner for less than 400 euros. It has sensors that allow it to avoid objects in the house in an “intelligent” way, as well as a connection with the Mi Home mobile app to map the house and clean more efficiently. It has a side brush and a central brush motor.
- cecotec: Cecotec is a Spanish company that is making a name for itself in this segment. The Conga 1790 Vital is a fantastic robot vacuum cleaner for less than 200 euros. It does not stand out in a specific point, but in how complete it is at a general level. It has two blades and a central brush that “rubs” the ground to collect dirt.
- iRobot: The name of the company may not sound familiar to you, but if we say ”Roomba”, I’m sure it will. They have practically become synonymous with ”robot vacuum cleaner”. If we want a basic robot vacuum, we should go to the 600 series. If we want something in between, go to the 700. And, if we want the premium range, we should look at the 900 series. Roomba has several very interesting robots, but the 605 is possibly the best known. It is very, very basic, a robot vacuum cleaner with a side brush and a central brush. We can get hold of it for less than 200 euros. Of course, if we want something more advanced, we must opt for the 671, more advanced and with a double central rotating brush.
- ecovacs: It is another of the most renowned brands in the segment of robot vacuum cleaners, and much of that fame is due to the Deebot M81 Pro. It is a model that, for less than 300 euros, has some top features. He is very balanced and a perfect tenant for our house. It has two side brushes and a central motor. It is not a vacuum cleaner, so be careful with pets. oh! Like the Excellence 990, it has a mop.
There are other brands, such as LG, Taurus or Vileda, but the ones we point out above are the best-known robot vacuum cleaners with a proven reputation on Amazon.
Tips for choosing the best robot vacuum cleaner
Having seen this guide on the elements and characteristics of a device of this style, let’s go with the latest tips for choosing the best robot vacuum cleaner. These are four details that you should keep in mind
- Do not spend more money on something you are not going to use. This is drawer. The most expensive is not always the best. It is something that is usually fulfilled, yes, but if you are not going to use a feature… Why pay more money for it? That is to say, if there is a robot vacuum cleaner that you like for 300 euros and you see another that, for 375 euros, offers the same characteristics, but the only extra thing it has is, for example, the virtual wall system, you should ask yourself if it is something What are you going to use? If not, you know, go for the cheapest. The same for a robot with a mop, if we are not going to use it, it is not worth paying more.
- beware of pets. We have said it a few times in this guide, pet hair is peculiar. If you want a robot vacuum cleaner to collect mostly pet hair, go for one with a vacuum, not a rotating brush, since animal hair will get more stuck in this second example and, in addition, maintenance will be more tedious.
- Possibility of programming and noise. Some people think that an electric vacuum cleaner does not make noise, but it really is like a small hair dryer. Therefore, if we are susceptible to noise, we can opt for a programmable model. This will allow the robot to activate when we tell it to, even controllable through a mobile application, to clean when we are away from home.
- If it is a gift for an older personOne detail must be taken into account. If it is a gift for an elderly person, there is something that we must take into account. There are three types of control system for a robot vacuum: the buttons on the chassis itself, the remote control and a mobile application.
With this, you have everything you need to know to choose the best robot vacuum cleaner.